Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pray for the Roma

As you know, I've been working on a short film highlighting TWR's ministry to the Roma people in Central & Eastern Europe since early February. The film was well-received at the Annual Partners' Conference last Friday night, so I'm pleased with how it's turned out. Expect to see it online around the first of May.

But this isn't about me; it's about the Roma.

I've had the privilege of meeting many Roma here in Slovakia and in Bulgaria, and my heart goes out to this people group. People hate them. They've been persecuted and oppressed for centuries and, sadly, violence against them has only been increasing during the last two decades. This article from Sunday's NY Times brought tears to my eyes. Pray for these people.
  • That every Roma person would come to know and experience the love of Jesus Christ, and that they would grow in their faith and their love for one another.
  • For the pastors in the Roma communities, that God would encourage them and give them strength to be examples to their congregations and their villages.
  • For TWR and its Partners, that they would receive all the necessary funding to continue and increase their work among the Roma people.
  • For Roma families, particularly the women, as they raise the next generation.
  • That those who have radios will start new listener groups and churches, and that, from among them, God will raise up godly leaders.
  • That the hearts of minds of those who hold prejudices against the Roma would be changed through Christ's love.
A Roma woman I met in Slovakia shared these words with me:
"I am a Roma, and my desire is that people open their hearts for God, that they don't live just their own lives, but they open it up for the Lord, because He is the good God who paid for us. I want everyone to hear His Gospel because He is the hope. My wish for them is that they forgive one another—that's when God is revealed. I would like to encourage them that there's someone who loves them. Although this world is malicious towards us, the Roma people, I want to say that God is the hope. Love one another."
Amen.

0 comments: