Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Packing up Prayer

I am a do-er. Are you? Do you feel most comfortable and productive when you're making lists and running errands and accomplishing the mental chores in your head? I do.

I am also confused. I am not exactly the most active person I know. Some (my husband) might even call me a tad bit lazy. I would much rather sit on the couch and stare out the window, thinking or writing, then do anything else. So why the need to constantly "do" and "accomplish"?

I'm realizing that I only feel the need to "do" and "accomplish" when it comes to spiritual things. They say, "If the devil can't make you bad, he'll make you busy." We're never tempted in the morning to skip brushing our teeth, but how often do we decide we're in too much of a rush to read God's Word? With moving, it's the same way. I have plenty of time to mark off the to-do list, but I find so many reasons not to read my Bible and listen to God. Before this phase of pre-TWR, there was little to do but pray and attempt patience. Now prayer is easily replaced with 1-800 calls to a variety of companies that need our address change, our final payments, etc.

We like measuring, don't we? It's nice to say, "Hey, I changed our cell phone plan and gave a move-out notice to our landlord today!" It's weird to say, "Hey, I prayed and sought patience and considered the aspects of my life that I need to further commit to God today!"

But what else is worth our time?

0 comments: